Monday, January 31, 2011

When I Grow Up

We just started a new unit in kindergarten: Community Helpers
(Which basically means - What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up?)

When I did this same unit in Edmond School District for student teaching, the kids wanted to be things like: doctor, nurse, teacher, firefighter, police officer, and other "noble" things. But when I brought it up for the first time today, it was a different story. I just asked the kids to help me list some community helpers. I got things like: 7-11 worker, Sonic waitress, and Dollar Tree cashier.

It's all they know. In their sweet little minds, those are their attainable career choices. How do I make them see that they can be absolutely positively anything that they want to be? Whether that's an astronaut or  a store clerk.

On a lighter note:
When you cook with pretty much venison as your only meat option, sometimes the meat is wrapped in sketchy butcher shop paper. And sometimes it's hard to tell exactly what your working with. So sometimes you brown sausage instead of hamburger for your Monday night lasagna. I'm not stupid - I wasn't going to waste a pound of sausage. We're having sausage lasagna. You're welcome to come over. Ben, Meag, and Emily are in for a surprise.

And here's to hoping:

The threat of impending horrific weather is so intriguing to me. 


Quote of the day: "Mrs. Hawley, you's great." - said by a sweet little girl whose name rhymes with Lontesha

No comments:

Post a Comment